Tea and seeds

Tea and seeds

Thursday 4 August 2011

My Creative Space- almost matching socks

A few weeks ago...ah......four to be exact, I proudly put up a picture of this half finished sock, confident that by the following week I would be able to add a picture of the completed pair.  Well.......um......now I feel like a student having to explain why their homework has not been handed in on time.  You see, we went away on a little holiday to Warburton to play in the snow for a week,


then we got home and there was a LOT of washing to be done and then there was Jovankas' third birthday and David designed a special cake which was sufficiently complex enough as to require a practice run but it all turned out splendidly and here it is:

Davids' Chocolate crepe, choc mousse, strawberry layer cake with a chocolate dome.
and then I needed a little rest and finally I got to sit down for a couple of evenings and finish these things off and here they are.

I did actually finish the first sock before we went away.  Jovanka was so excited she put it on, hot off the needles and proceeded to wear it with any other sock she laid her hands on.  Before I had even begun the second sock, this first one had already been on adventures.  It went on holidays with us so she at least had one nice warm foot when she was playing in the snow.  It went for a walk in the shallow edges of the upper Yarra River near where we were staying, and then it went in the not so shallow edges and got soaking wet.  It then got mixed in with the rest of the river sodden clothing and put in the washing machine and dryer
(uh-oh).  Consequently it is a little out of shape and slightly baggy - it's the one on the left. 

 A little aside here, it is a constant curiosity to me that I can say something to the children like "If you go any deeper in the water, your boots will fill up and you'll have wet feet" - fine in summer, not so good on a cold winters day, then they walk in deeper water, get boots full of water, soggy socks and cold, wet feet and then look at me as if to say "Why didn't you keep us out of the deep water?  Why didn't you tell us?  Now I've got wet feet and they're cold and how am I going to walk home like this?"

So now with the socks finished, I can get on with the cardi I started for Jovanka in May.  At this current rate of progress it should be ready in a couple of years.  Good thing she has a little sister to grow into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment