Tea and seeds

Tea and seeds

Thursday 22 September 2011

My Creative Space - Crafters Starteritis

Preface:  Aside from my infrequent ramblings to the blogosphere, I also keep a journal which listens to all the unwindings going on in my head.  I came across this one from May and thought I might share it with you here.....




Friday 20th May 2011
Today I have Crafters Starteritis ADHD.  Onset began last night as I was waiting for sleep.  Ideas spinning in my head.  Good ones!  This morning, first thing, I drew them down before they slipped away.

It began with the thought that Ari's handknit socks needed new feet.  So I'm thinking the best way to approach this - cut off the foot - don't worry about unravelling. So then what can I do with the offcut?  Could it be put to any use?  And what about those big brown woolly socks I cut up to make elbow warmers from the legs?  Aha!  Slice the feet through and use the resulting fabric (which is felted from washing anyway) as insulation in an oven mitt - a pair!  Perfect.  Then thinking about how it peeves me to keep throwing out socks - odd ones, holey ones.  Don't want to make a sock snake.  Oh!  Got it!  Cut them into rings.  Knot the rings together to make a rope.  Braid them and sew into a mat.  Then thinking about knitting 'cause I just bought some cool cotton/bamboo mix yarn - multicolour orange, pink, yellow.  Pants for Marta?  Bought it for a dishcloth.  Is it wrong if the baby's pants match the dishcloth?  Well, maybe use a different colourway for each if this yarn kits up well.  But maybe cotton is too stretchy for pants on a soon-to-be crawling baby.  What about some dark grey 4 ply longies with pink stripes.  So pretty.  Oh, the choices!!!

So today the dishes have been piling up because all I want to do is MAKE SOMETHING but can't decide what to start with.  Cut up a few socks from the odd sock basket to trial and it works well, looks good and I think will be a good bath mat.  Move on to the next thing.  Laid eyes on a length of fabric I bought for a doona cover.  Looking through the cupboard for good contrast fabrics.  Found lots of pieces for pants for Marta and a skirt for me (or crazy trousers).  Still looking for contrast fabric.  Move on to the box in the hallway (the one set aside to take to the op-shop).  Nothing there but found some more pieces I liked for other projects so kept those pieces out.  Move on to the cupboards in the back room.  Nope, not there either but remembered I wanted to look for some fabric for a table topper for Jovanka's bedside.  Pulled out a few options for her to choose from.  Oh - and there's the flannelette for p.j's for them all.  Pull out a pile for them to choose from.  Interrupt their play.  They must CHOOSE NOW!!!!  Choices made.  Move on.  A game of Jenga on the loungeroom floor with them all.  Marta happily clacking a couple of blocks together.  Another game.  Dinner on.  My goodness the kitchen's a mess. Hmmm.  Think I have some p.j. patterns.  I'll just go and look.  Perfect.  Boys size 8 for David and I can adjust for Ari.  Girls size 1-4 for both girls.  Excellent.  Won't need to make my own patterns after all.  Blow!  Can't cut anything out now.  Dinner nearly ready.  Table's a mess.  Dishes all over the bench.  Marta will soon need attention from her Mama. Make a quick salad.  Thoughts spinning in my head.  Write it all down.  So!  Nothing started.  Fabric out for a dozen or more projects but no time or space to do anything RIGHT NOW!  It's my own SPACE-TIME continuum whatever that is.  SPACE, TIME and ENERGY.  It's a rare opportunity to have all three at once!

Dinner time but the table is still covered so it's dinner in the loungeroom watching Masterchef.  Oh well.  It's Friday....

No comments:

Post a Comment