Tea and seeds

Tea and seeds

Sunday 5 June 2011



Such a dream!!!  A magnificent craft show with wool fibres everywhere, rolls of ribbons and threads of all colours in shelves right up to the timber cathedral ceiling.  Exhibitors tables laden with more such gloriousness.  I decided to try my hand at some needle felting, which I have heard much about but not tried.  Standing at the bench with a great pile of coloured fleeces next to me I started to lay out my design as I thought it should be.  As soon as I began work the woman at the stall began telling me that it was wrong, that I couldn't  do it this way.  It wouldn't work out right.  I looked at the woman next to me, working on something quite similar but following the instructions.  I couldn't.  I had to keep trying to do it my way, to find out what would happen.  Perhaps it would turn out.  Perhaps it wouldn't.  My dream self was determined to keep trying.  I just had to put my head down, keep working, and block out those voices telling me it wouldn't work.

This morning I paid extra attention to the conversations with my children.  Was I telling them "no" when I could have been saying "have a go and find out for yourself"?  Where is the line between setting boundaries for them and controlling them.  And what about for ourselves?  Where is the line between self-discipline / adult responsibility and denying ourselves the chance for adventure, for finding out what we can become if we give ourselves a little freedom to explore?  A long-ago friend used to tell me "You know Megan, you have to know your limitations."  His other memorable saying?....  "You musn't limit yourself!" !!!!   Seems he knew a thing or two about the Blair Balance Theory before the phrase was ever coined.

This is what I will be pondering for the next little while.  Can I overcome the fear of the unknown and relative insecurity in order to give myself the freedom to follow the dreams I have held for so long.  Can I stop telling myself that I can't do it and begin believing that I can?  Am a brave enough to let myself "have a go"?  If you're looking for me, that's where I'll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment